CAMPUS ADVOCACY PROGRAM
Thank you to Women Studies at UGA’s Friday Speaker Series and everyone who joined us on Friday, January 29, 2016, on the UGA campus for our first on-campus education session! We discussed sexual harassment on college campuses, and students’ rights and remedies under the UGA grievance process and under Title IX.
If you are interested in hosting or organizing an education session on your campus, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (404) 624-6822. And, please take our short Sexual Harassment Survey to let us know about sexual harassment on your campus and what you would like to discuss at your session.
Join us and join the conversation!
DID YOU KNOW THAT…
- Approximately 62% of women are sexually harassed1 and 19% are sexually assaulted2 during their time at college.
- Of those survivors, 84% report being sexually assaulted during their first 4 semesters on campus.3
- Most undetected college rapists are likely serial perpetrators, committing an average of 6 rapes each.4
- Over 34% of college student survivors have experienced post traumatic stress syndrome (PTSD), and 33% have reported depression.5
- And yet, only 12% report the assault to police.6
- Georgia seems to follow this trend of underreporting. Over the the last 11 years, only 17 sexual harassment reports have been filed with the Department of Education against Georgia universities.7
Students are guaranteed an education free of sexual violence and harassment.
Under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972,
- Women have a right to university support
- women have a right to the swift resolution of their complaints
- women have a right to be safe on campus
With your help, we will launch a program in January 2016 to empower women on Georgia campuses, answer questions about whether and how to file a complaint, and ensure that universities provide a safe environment free of sexual harassment.
- Provide sessions on local campuses to educate women in colleges and universities about their rights and remedies under Title IX
- Answer questions about campus-specific policies and procedures
- CONTACT US AT email@example.com OR (404) 624-6822 IF YOU WANT TO SET UP A SESSION ON YOUR CAMPUS
- Work with local colleges and universities to improve Title IX compliance and policy effectiveness
- Review complaint resolution procedures
- Improve student outreach
- Ensure Clery Report (campus crime statistics) accuracy
- Train and collaborate with student campus liaisons
ADVOCACY, SUPPORT, AND LITIGATION:
- Provide referrals to counseling and other support services
- Represent students in sex discrimination complaints during university, Department of Education, and civil litigation processes
- CONTACT US AT firstname.lastname@example.org OR (404) 624-6822 IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CASE
RESEARCH AND PUBLIC POLICY:
- Research trends of sexual harassment and sexual violence, and provide reports on specific local campuses to the public
- Effect public policy through campaigns and partnerships with other organizations
- Raise community awareness
- Empower women to prevent, report, and remedy Title IX violations
- Catherine Hill and Elena Silva, Drawing the Line: Sexual Harassment on Campus, American Association of University Women Educational Foundation (2005), available at http://www.aauw.org/files/2013/02/drawing-the-line-sexual-harassment-on-campus.pdf. ↩
- Christopher Krebs, et al., The Campus Sexual Assault (CSA) Study, National Criminal Justice Reference (2007), available at, https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/221153.pdf. ↩
- Krebs, supra note 2. ↩
- David Lisak and Paul M. Miller, Repeat Rape and Multiple Offending Among Undetected Rapists, 17 Violence and Victims (2002), available at http://www.davidlisak.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/RepeatRapeinUndetectedRapists.pdf. ↩
- Dean G. Kilpatrick, et al., Drug-Facilitated, Incapacitated, and Forcible Rape: A National Study, National Criminal Justice Reference (2007), available at https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/219181.pdf. ↩
- Id. ↩
- Index of Title IX Complaints, Muckrock, https://www.muckrock.com/foi/united-states-of-america-10/index-of-title-ix-complaints-14501. ↩